Greco Dermatology is a skin cancer and lesion clinic in Sarasota where surgical dermatology is a main area of focus, and the passion of Dr. Joseph Greco.
Surgical Dermatology for Skin Cancer and Lesions
Performed by Joseph F. Greco, M.D., a double board-certified Mohs surgeon and skin cancer specialist, surgical procedures at Greco Dermatology are always done with precise attention to detail and a high level of in-depth knowledge and skill. Known for his Mohs work at UCLA, Dr. Greco has been in the realm of skin cancer for 15 years. You can be absolutely certain that you’re in excellent hands with him.
Keeping You Comfortable and Relaxed
With over 20,000 Mohs and excisional surgery procedures performed, Dr. Greco understands that many patients are typically anxious about surgical procedures. This is why he does everything possible to help you relax and bring your guard down during your treatment. He provides a warm, personal touch, treating every patient as if they are from his hometown and keeping appointments as lighthearted and as fun as possible with a great sense of humor.
Why Dr. Greco is the Best Surgical Dermatologist for You
- 15-year history as a Mohs surgeon at UCLA, one of the premier hospital systems in the nation; also served as Director of UCLA Santa Monica Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery for 12 years
- Double board-certified by The American Board of Dermatology in Dermatology and Micrographic Dermatologic Surgery
- Fellowship trained in Mohs micrographic surgery, reconstructive surgery, cutaneous oncology, and laser surgery at The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
- Served as Health Sciences Associate Clinical Professor, Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine at The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
- A member of The American College of Mohs Surgery: the premier organization of fellowship-trained skin cancer and reconstructive surgeons specializing in Mohs micrographic surgery
- A 15-year history of skin cancer focus, which has allowed him to perform over 20,000 Mohs and surgical excision procedures
- One of the first dermatologic surgeons to pass The American Board of Dermatology subspecialty exam to be certified in Micrographic Dermatologic Surgery 2021
- One of a select number of double board-certified and fellowship-trained Mohs micrographic surgeons in the country
- Appeared as a faculty presenter at numerous national conferences and workshops on surgical anatomy, advanced surgical reconstructive techniques, cutaneous oncology, and new laser and light source technologies
- Author of an extensive list of book chapters, publications, and national lectures in the field of surgical anatomy, Mohs micrographic surgery, reconstructive surgery, cutaneous oncology, laser surgery, and the surgical anatomy of the head and neck
- Participated in the training 14 Mohs micrographic surgery fellows
- Recognized annually by peers as a SuperDoctor® in Southern California (2016-2022) as well as a TopDoctor® in Los Angeles in 2018
Dr. Greco will function in all phases of the Mohs micrographic procedure, serving as your cancer surgeon, dermatopathologist, and reconstructive surgeon on the same day of the procedure. He has extensive experience in Mohs surgery, as it is his area of expertise.
If reconstruction is needed after your Mohs micrographic surgery, Dr. Greco has you covered. He utilizes advanced reconstructive and suturing techniques to achieve the best results possible.
We want you to be fully prepared, ready, and confident on the day of your Mohs micrographic surgery. This is why we not only go over everything with you in person, but also provide a guideline here. Be sure to let us know if you have any questions.
You want to know what to expect on the day of your Mohs micrographic surgery, and we hear you! During your consultation, Dr. Greco will walk you step-by-step through the procedure, but we also have provided a page here for you to get the full picture.
If there happens to be anything outside of Dr. Greco’s realm, he will be happy to connect you with consultative services from his network of skin cancer professionals. This includes experts in surgical oncology, radiation oncology, plastic surgery, oculoplastic, and head and neck surgery.
Other Treatment Options
If your lesion requires a skin biopsy, we understand that you may feel anxious about the procedure and results. With a warm lightheartedness and expertise in diagnosis, Dr. Greco makes skin biopsies as pleasant as possible, and you can feel peace of mind knowing he is here for you.
A surgical excision (excision surgery) is used to remove lesions and tumors. Healthy tissue is also removed around the area. Surgical excision can be performed to treat basal and squamous cell carcinomas as well as melanomas. It can remove lipomas, moles, and many other lesions.
Skin cancer education is crucial. That’s why we’re so focused on providing Skin IQ and education information to our patients. This is only the beginning, but it’s a good starting point to learn more about risk factors, warning signs, preventative methods, and more.
The Importance of Being Fellowship-Trained
When you choose to work with Greco Dermatology, you can feel confident and assured you’re in the excellent hands of a fellowship-trained Mohs surgeon. In addition to being fellowship-trained himself, Joseph F. Greco, M.D. also trained other fellows at UCLA in Mohs surgery. Fellowship-trained Mohs surgeons must undergo:
- A competitive application, review, and selection process to be chosen for training
- Extensive hands-on direction and education from highly qualified trainers who are themselves skilled practitioners of the Mohs procedure
- 1-2 years of additional training after residency
- Exposure to rare tumor pathology, difficult tumor locations, and complex wound reconstruction
- A minimum of 650 cases during training
Electrodesiccation and Curettage
Electrodesiccation and curettage is the scraping and burning off of skin growths and cancerous skin tissue. Curettage scrapes the tissue with a spoon-shaped blade, and then electrodesiccation burns the tissue with an electric current to control bleeding and destroy any leftover cancer cells.
Sometimes surgical dermatology isn’t necessary and a non-invasive procedure is best. We offer many options for non-surgical treatment options, including liquid nitrogen (cryotherapy), topical immunotherapy, topical chemotherapy, photodynamic therapy (PDT), and more.
Greco Dermatology: Taking the Journey Together
If you need surgical dermatology, you will feel extremely comfortable in the knowledge, experience, training, and surgical technique of Dr. Joseph Greco. He has spent the past 15 years as a Mohs surgeon and skin cancer specialist at UCLA, he has devoted his career to dermatology, and he has unparalleled Mohs surgical experience. You can rest assured Dr. Greco will expertly perform your surgery.
In addition, your care does not stop on the day of your surgery. It continues throughout your relationship with us — and all efforts are made to minimize and conceal scarring and minimize the development of future skin cancers. We take pride in the aesthetic outcome of our surgical procedures and commit to delivering the best possible outcome for each individual patient.