If you have a mole that is changing, asymmetrical, large, dark, multiple colors, or has an uneven border, we advise having it checked, and mole removal may be needed. Dr. Greco offers both of these services at his Sarasota practice.
The “ABCDE” Warning Signs of Melanoma
- Asymmetry: Most melanomas are asymmetrical.
- Border: Melanomas usually have borders that are uneven, scalloped, or notched.
- Color: Melanomas may have different shades of brown, black, or tan that become red, white, or blue with growth.
- Diameter/Dark: A mole that is 6mm or ¼ inch in diameter or larger must be checked.
- Evolving: A mole that changes in size, shape, color, or elevation must be checked. If it crusts, itches, or bleeds, this is also cause for examination.